Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Across the Universe

Julie Taymor's trademark of the combination of stunning visuals and highly choreographed movement (as evidenced in both of her other major films, Frida and Titus) are taken to a new level in this surreal rock musical. Thirty-three new versions of Beatles songs and countless references to they lyrics (in character names, lines and details) are blended into a love story about Lucy and Jude and their involvement in the tumultuous politics and exciting sex, drugs and rock 'n roll of the 60s in America.

I don't think Taymor felt that these were literal interpretations of the Beatles songs. I think she took liberties at every turn to use their words to her end result and she does it beautifully.

Highlights for me include Eddie Izzard's appearance as Mr. Kite and the rendition of "Let it Be" which brought me to tears.

2 comments:

Gibson-US said...

Fun movie. Lots of stunning visuals and effects. Kind of plays like a over simplified synopsis of American culture in the 60s & 70s. You don't have to be a hardcore Beatles fan to appreciate the film. Bowling scene is great and even has a shot that seems to be an obvious homage to The Big Lebowski.

Logos Mori said...

Oh my god! I can't believe I forgot to mention the bowling scene. Thanks for reminding me of it. I think it was definitely a nod to The Dude.