Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Control

Fans of Joy Division will really appreciate the care and detail that went into this biopic retelling of Ian Curtis' short life. I don't consider myself an expert on him or his story, so I can't speak for acuracy, but it felt very sincere and not sensational. There were many details that I didn't know about him and this added so much to my appreciation of the band and the music.

The cast was great. Samantha Morton is probably the most experienced among the actors and you would never know it. The soundtrack was all performed by the actors, and they were spot-on in terms of appearance.

Jon and I talked about the tragedy of Ian's life and how if treated properly, his mental disorders probably would have been brought under control. But then, his art wouldn't have been what it was and so much modern music has been inspired by them. Such a sad story for his wife and child and such a gift to the world that his genius was.

No comments: