Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ano em Que Meus Pais Saíram de Férias, O (The Year my Parents Went on Vacation)

What I have to say first that this film is directed by a guy named Cao Hamburger (I'm not up on my Brazilian Portuguese but I think that's pronounced "cow.")

What I will say second is that Mr. Hamburger has directed a very sweet and original coming of age story set in a very interesting time in Brazil. 1970 was the year Brazil won the world cup and a year of political upheaval and unrest. It was also the year that Shlomo's freedom fighter parents had to run from the police and go on "vacation" leaving him with his Jewish grandfather until, they promise, they will return to watch the World Cup with him.

Great characters and wonderful acting by the kids, especially. Watching the scenes of the city shutting down for each round of the finals that their team made it through, Jon and I got a great flashback to when we were in Rome during the World Cup that Italy won in 2006.

No comments: