Sunday, May 04, 2008

Voyage du ballon rouge, Le (The Flight of the Red Balloon)

I can't tell you how much I love Juliette Binoche. She is flawless. She completely inhabits her characters in a way that other actors cannot. I am always blown away by her -- even in mediocre movies. She is almost upstaged in this movie by the little boy who plays Simon, but not quite.

This is a "remake" of the 1950's original The Red Balloon, but it's not necessary to be familiar with the original to enjoy this movie -- in fact, I remember very little of except that the red balloon follows the boy and then floats away (?) maybe I don't remember as well as I thought.

Anyway, this is a very sweet and detailed film...it's about outsiders and imagination and the minutia of life that makes us all tick.

No comments: