Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Wackness

I want to put on the record that this is the first movie we saw after Tilia was born.

It made me feel old.

Nothing more than a teen love story where the guy gets his heart broken, but the twist is that he sells pot out of an ice cream trolley. A lot of pot. And they show him having sex...imagine that in Ferris Bueller or The Breakfast Club.

My oh my how times have changed.

And yet, they haven't -- this, like the John Hughes movies of my time, was very conscious of its tragically hip self and as such shouldn't be expected to be any more than a Pretty in Pink for the Y Generation as they graduate from high school.

The main character's teacher (following the Hughes narrative again, all Hughes movies also had a wise teacher character) is played by Ben Kingsley who was amazing. He can play any character in the world masterfully. He made/saved this movie for me.

Speaking of Ferris Bueller -- Josh Peck who plays the main character kept looking so much like Alan Ruck who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, that I was convinced it was his son! Figuring out that that was possible made me really start feeling old. A quick IMDB search proved that they don't look anything like each other -- age takes its toll on the mind.

No comments: