Saturday, January 30, 2010

Politist, adj. (Police, Adjective.)

I loved this movie. However, I have to admit that I fell asleep a couple times in the beginning, but it wasn't out of boredom or not wanting to see it. I am just freaking exhausted these days.

This film shouldn't be slept through, though. In my defense, the tempo of the first half is very slow and quiet. We watch as Dragos Bucur (of The Paper will be Blue "fame") goes about his slow, quiet life as a police officer on a case.

Dialog and action increase as we get a peek into his relationship with his new wife, who is a school teacher. We start to understand that he doesn't believe in what he is doing and, indeed is unclear on his role as police officer in a case such as the one he is working on.

Lots of great word play and discussion of words and metaphors, meanings of words and why we use them as symbols and rely on them to encompass ideas.

Engaging and well-acted. Every time I see a Romanian film, I am reminded how much I like Romanian cinema.

Learned: there is a sport called, "foot tennis" which is like soccer and tennis combined.

No comments: