Sunday, November 05, 2006

Babel

One complaint I heard about this movie before I saw it is that it is "too complicated." I guess it's all about how hard you are comfortable working for your movie enjoyment. I like to be challenged. I want my brain working and my thoughts provoked. I rarely go to the movies for escapism, in fact, I think I need to see movies to reaffirm that I am part of humanity. This movie is great example of this mechanism.

I only found this movie complicated on the surface and once you get underneath to the general gist of the connections between the story lines, you are sucked into what happens in each corner of the world. We are reminded of our humanity and preciousness (and universality) of life.

A few scenes stick out for me, but the brothers laughing on the cliffs and leaning into the blowing wind stayed with me for days.

I wasn't floored by this film, but in all the best ways it was a very grim, very difficult, complex reminder of the whole of joy and tragedy that we all as humans experience in life.

I really loved 21 Grams and Amores Perros and this was great too, so Alejandro González Iñárritu is moving up my directors list.

No comments: