Monday, December 24, 2007

Youth Without Youth

Francis Ford Coppola came out of his 10 year hiatus to make this.

Wait.

Let me try that line again:

Francis Ford Coppola came out of his 10 year hiatus to make this?!

Not that I am a huge Coppola fan, but I did think he give us a film more worthy of a comeback.

It is weird and a little confusing. It has an oldy-timey feel - like a film from the 40s, but it over-reaches, tries to take on too many things...lets see...science fiction, Nazis, the origins of man, eastern philosophy, multiple dimensions, a love story. I made it all the way to the end dutifully doing the mental yoga that Coppola is asking of his viewers, suspending disbelief and following the great leaps in theme and storyline, but then in the last 10 minutes, I fell asleep.

I love Tim Roth, but he was not at his best.

No comments: