Saturday, June 16, 2007

Delirious

Tom DiCillo made Living in Oblivion and Johnny Suede, both of which I loved, but not quite as much as his more recent, Box of Moonlight, which is one of my top 10 films of all time.

Sometimes expectations are the enemy of experience. This movie would have been a big letdown, if I hadn't checked my expectations right before we went in. I'm not sure what made me do it, but I was glad I consciously lowered them.

In this film, a quirky paparazzi befriends a homeless youth and they work together to get the perfect "shot heard 'round the world." Of course, the homeless guy is hunky and wants a showbiz career...

One DiCillo trademark is how he has a bumbling man as a mentor to another bumbling man and they learn from each other and it's usually pretty funny. That is the case in this film, but the storyline is quite bland and predictable, and Steve Buscemi's character is not quite likable and there really wasn't anything that set this film apart. I am also tired of blonde bombshells in his films....and why is she always just in her bra?? The best scenes in the movie are of Buscemi's character's parents.

A shame to end SIFF on a disappointment. A bigger shame that DeCillo has moved from a favorite director, to a director who made a few films I like.

No comments: