Monday, June 25, 2007

La Môme (La Vie en Rose)

Through a series of flashbacks and memories, we watch the extraordinary life of Edith Piaf. The music is fantastic and I was simply spellbound by the three actresses portray her at 5 and 10 years old and then in adulthood. All three are amazing.

It seems to me that Edith never, until quite late in life, owned her life or career - even her greatest love wasn't really hers. People managed/owned/manipulated her from the moment she was born until the ripe old age of 47 when she died.

There is a moment or two where you see glimpses of her being in control, but because the story is told in such a non-linear way, I can't tell if that was my own reading or intended. I really enjoyed the actors around her, but we don't get to meet the characters very much.

I learned a lot about her and really enjoyed the sad melodrama.

No comments: