Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Mighty Heart

I wish that Mariane was played by some unknown actress. Don't get me wrong - Jolie does fine. I am not going to say that she is fantastic or that this is her best movie ever or any superlatives, because I just don't like her and it is hard for me to be objective. I have seen more interviews with her and non-acting parts than I have films of hers, really. I think the role of Mariane would be astonishingly difficult. Jolie loses her accent a few times which is just the kind of thing that bugs me about her. I also hate how directors always do close ups of her eyes flickering and twitching. All that said, I really didn't want this review to be about how I don't like Jolie -- the movie was very well done and that's what I should write about.

I was most impressed by how, even though we all know what happened to Danny Pearl, there was still this horrific anticipation of what was to come. I was sad, uncomfortable and dreading the outcome. This was not an easy film to watch.

I love the community of people surrounding her in this film who support her through and take part in her tragedy. All these people, in this house came together and lived through this horror, just like the families and friends of the 12 other people who were kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan that month. Pearl is not alone. Nor is he more important than the "enemy combatants" being held in Guantanamo Bay.

No comments: