Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Paris, je t'aime

Go see this movie.

18 short films about Paris, each by a different director, each with the title of a different neighborhood. The directors include the Coen brothers, Gus Van Sant, Wes Craven (!) Gerard Depardieu... the list goes on and on. The only thing more impressive than the list of directors is the casts. Linking to all of them on IMDB would take forever so I will just list a sampling here:
Steve Buscemi, Natalie Portman, Nick Nolte, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Juliette Binoche, Marianne Faithfull, Willem Defoe - it's an amazing spectacle.

Some highlights:
Gus Van Sant directs The Marais and we watch as two hot young men (In a Van Sant film!?!? no way....) share a conversation.
I loved Willem Dafoe as the Grim Reaper in Place Des Victoires.
14ème Arrondissement
followed a frumpy postal worker from Denver (brilliantly portrayed by Margo Martindale) with a fanny pack through her 6 day trip to Paris by herself. (Awesome!)

As I type this, I realize that I could find a highlight in almost every one of the shorts and really it's just a fantastic group of films that needs to be seen. It would be easier to write about which ones I didn't like as much, but what's the point in that?

Also as I type this, I realize my friend Gibson will make me pick a favorite, which I don't want to do, but for him, I will: Faubourg Saint-Denis where a blind student and his girlfriend take us all over Paris and it made me want to walk to the travel agent and buy a ticket today.

No comments: