Tuesday, November 13, 2007

L'Advocat de la terreur (Terror's Advocate)

This was a long and (kind of) interesting documentary about Jacques Vergès who has been mixed up with some pretty unsavory characters for his whole life. He has been the defense attorney for both left and right wing terrorists (or freedom fighters, depending on your view) such as Slobodan Milošević, Djamila Bouhired, and Klaus Barbie. This film shows his point of view, which on some levels I can appreciate (that even the worst criminals are human deserve justice) but his sympathies lie with people like Pol Pot, and it's hard to like someone who likes someone like that. One great quote from the movie: "People ask me if I would defend Hitler, and I answer, I would even defend Bush...if he would plead guilty."


No comments: