Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Southland Tales

Richard Kelly, who directed Donnie Darko, one of my favorite films of all time, had some of the tools he needed to get it right with this one, but he didn't. Almost, but not quite.

He certainly had an immense depth and breadth of acting talent(?), but just because you throw Justin Timberlake, The Rock, Buffy, Curtis Armstrong (Booger from Revenge of the Nerds), the freaky, tiny old lady from Poltergeist, the "inconceivable!" guy from The Princess Bride, and tons of SNL people (new and old-school) into a pot, doesn't make it a delicious soup. In fact, it makes it a crazy soup. And one with some amazing scenes and an absurdity factor to rival, say, Bunuel, but it still missed the mark. It's too complicated, too silly and way too long.

Some other folks have panned this film and they do it better than I ever could:
"A Schwarzeneggerian actor, related to a political dynasty, has been kidnapped, replaced with a double, and -- I give up. A plot synopsis would require that the movie have a plot." -- Ebert

" You can't help but feel that the only journey Kelly is taking you on is one deep inside his own bong." -- Mudede

"Somewhere beneath all the layers of idiocy are some good ideas -- if only Kelly knew how to express them." -- Snider
Add to this that I heard it was booed at Cannes and as a result Kelly cut 20 minutes off the film to try to make it less oblique. Lets just say I went in expecting to sleep through it or walk out. I understand that my low expectations were a key to my enjoyment here. I think when you say, "Well that was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be..." it's not really a compliment.

1 comment:

Hermes said...

I think this movie is ultimately quite enjoyable. I personally would recommend it, but the key to enjoying it is first to read all of the really bad reviews it got. Then your expectations will be so low that you will have a fun time watching it.