Sunday, November 18, 2007

Love in the Time of Cholera

Lots of emphasis on the Love and not much on the Cholera. I haven't read the book, which I am happy about at this point because I think this movie didn't do it justice. I'll read the book now and will have a better experience than the other way around.

Javier Bardeem has become on of my favorite actors and his character is certainly a great one. We watch over the years as his love for Fermina never wavers. My biggest complaint would be that the dialog was a weird mix of serious drama and silly comedy, which I think Marquez does in his writing, but it didn't translate to film very well. Also, because we watch two characters for over 60 years, there needed to be some intense physical transformations and the makeup was badly done and really distracting. I can't help but feel that the story loses some of what I can only assume the book has: grandiosity.

This is an epic love story, but this movie takes it down to a dramatic romance. I am looking forward to reading the book, I know it will be better than this.

No comments: