Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Landlord

From Hal Ashby who brought us one of my favorite movies, Harold and Maude, (which has in it the only car that I would ever call "sexy" -- the Jaguar E-type hearse custom made for the film and destroyed, I think, in the filming), comes this offbeat look at race, class and the politics of the 70s. There is some great hair in this film. And dancing. People really knew how to dance in the 70s. And pants. Wow. Great pants. The story is a bit dated as you might expect, however the characters are 3-dimensional and I did find myself very sympathetic with Elgar who strives to break out of his upper-class mold. He buys a run-down tenement building in Park Slope (!) in Brooklyn and goes about trying to evict everyone and fix it up. He gets completely caught up in the lives of his tenants, much to his family's horror, and winds up with a new life. I wanted to see The Landlord because I haven't seen any other Ashby films and this one was his first. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, except for the handful of very funny and surreal moments that make it unique and worthwhile. Nowhere near Harold and Maude in terms of humor or craft, but you can see the director's style come through after having watched just the two films.

No comments: